Remember the onion dip from the tub, or maybe the jar? 🙋♂️🙋♀️ They are pretty good in a pinch, but we think it’s time to level up your onion dip game with our homemade Caramelized Onion Dip that we like to serve with Popchips. Trust us, this simple recipe is totally worth it.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium yellow or white onions (thinly sliced)
- 8 oz. boxed package of cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Popchips (for serving)
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for about 25-30 minutes or until beautifully golden brown. To finish cooking the onions through, add 2 tablespoons of water (or beef stock!) to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Let the caramelized onions completely cool, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cream cheese, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
- Stir in the caramelized onions and season the dip with salt and pepper.
- Transfer dip to the serving bowl and refrigerate for an hour or so until cold.
- Enjoy with Popchips! Sea Salt Popchips are the definite go-to choice, but we’re thinking Crazy Hot Popchips might just be the surprising flavor twist we’ve been craving in life.
Chef’s Tip: This caramelized onion dip can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Also, now that you know how to make them, caramelized onions are a great addition to cheeseburgers or your go-to sando. 🍔 🥪
Learn why Popchips are the better-for-you potato chip.