Whip up these mouth-watering butternut squash and ricotta bites with crispy sage for a holiday party appetizer that everyone will love! Orrrr…. make them before your extended family arrives and eat them yourself. 🤤 We promise we won't tell. 🤫
What You'll Need:
- 1 Butternut Squash, Cubed (about 3-4 cups)
- 3 TBSP Brown Sugar
- Vegetable or Olive Oil, For Drizzling
- 1 ½ Cups Ricotta Cheese
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Package of Sage Leaves
- Sea Salt Popchips
- Salt & Pepper
- Add butternut squash to a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with brown sugar. Stir on the baking sheet to combine.
- Roast the squash in a 425° oven for 35 min or until fork tender.
- Right on the parchment, mash the butternut squash with a potato masher. Leave a few chunks or continue until smooth; it's up to you.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small saute pan, pour enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the oil on medium until the surface of the oil begins to look shimmery or rippled.
- Next, add a few sage leaves at a time to the oil (make sure the leaves are dry to reduce splatter) and fry until crisp, about 15-20 seconds. Once the leaves stop bubbling, they are ready.
- Remove sage from the oil, let cool, and drain on a paper towel. Repeat the process with more sage leaves until 6-7 leaves are done.
- Assemble the bites! Arrange a layer of Popchips on a platter and spoon a dollop each of the ricotta mixture and the butternut squash mixture onto each chip and top with a piece of crispy sage. Finish with flaked salt, coarse sea salt, or fresh cracked pepper if desired.
These small bites are best served immediately for optimum crunch factor. If you prep ahead, refrigerate them no more than a few hours and set them on the counter for 15 minutes before serving to bring them to room temperature.
Learn why Popchips are the better-for-you potato chip.
We're popping up everywhere! Use our store locator to find Popchips in a store near you, or order your favorites in our online shop.